Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cover Letter

         Welcome to my blog! This semester, I was required to take a writing class as a general education course. Honestly, I was dreading this class, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I feel as though I was able to grow as a writer and uncover my identity as a student, reader, and writer. For this class, I wrote four papers, varying immensely in topic. The links at the top of this page will allow you to navigate from paper to paper and read introductions to each assignment. Through these pages, I will outline my journey in the class specifically concerning each paper, however, my journey in this class involved more than just writing.
        This class, among many others I've taken during my college career so far, pushed me to think in ways that I haven't before. For this class we not only wrote papers, but read multiple articles as well and were required to discuss them in class in depth, and sometimes complete assignments that made us think critically. While I didn't particularly like everything we read, I did enjoy the encouragement to think in a different way than I ever have before, such as in high school. Through these articles and various assignments, I was able to find my identity as a reader and a thinker. I enjoyed pushing the limit of my thinking and being told to delve deeper into the what an author meant in a piece of writing, and not just taking things for face value. Not only did I deepen my understanding of my personal identity as a reader and thinker, but as a writer as well through our formal papers.
         Our first paper was one of my favorites, mostly because we were required to talk about our own personal experience, and we didn't have to use any sources. I actually enjoy writing when I don't have to look up excessive information and cite sources. I enjoy being able to chronicle my life or experiences freely and let my thoughts flow onto paper. This assignment asked us to write about our identity as a writer and what or who has influenced our writing the most throughout our schooling. Our second paper required us to read an article and comment, not on the article itself, but on the author’s presentation of the topic in the article. This was probably my least favorite assignment, but allowed me to learn how to write in a neutral tone, rather than an argumentative one. The third paper required for this class was an analysis of a visual text, such as a movie or TV show. However, the visual text had to depict a student-teacher relationship and focus on education. I found it hard to pick a unique movie for this assignment, and ended up doing my final draft on a different movie then I originally chose. This assignment was the hardest for me, because of having to focus on the theme of education in the movie, rather than the plot of the movie itself. Our last assignment was an argument paper, but not a traditional position paper. I enjoyed this assignment a lot because I was able to pick a unique topic that I’m passionate about and really voice my opinion, while still backing myself up. As I mentioned before, I enjoy writing more when I don’t have to use sources, but I still enjoyed being able to present my argument in this paper. I hope you enjoy reading about my journey in this class through each paper, and my comments about each work specifically! In each paper, I provided comments about what I liked and didn't like about each paper, and what I should have changed or I thought was a strong point. Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I like how you introduce the reader to the blog itself, as if welcoming them to the experience. I am also glad that you feel the critical thinking components of the course have been valuable to you; I hope these habits of mind serve you well in the future.

    ReplyDelete